Now your visit to Indonesia can be more enjoyable. The Indonesian government has provided a facility for tax refund if your purchase goods in any shop (retailer) with “VAT Refund for Tourists” logo. Please feel free to visit any Indonesian shop (retailer) with “VAT Refund for Tourists” logo and enjoy your shopping time. Play Less and Get the Best
What is “VAT Refund for Tourist”?
VAT Refund for Tourists is a facility given by the Indonesian government which allows tourist (foreign passport holders) to claim back Value Added Tax (VAT) on goods purchased in any store registered as a “VAT Refund for Tourists” participant.
Who is eligible for a VAT Refund?
Any foregin passport holder who is:
- Not an Indonesia citizen or not a Permanent Resident of Indonesia, who lives or stays in Indonesia no longer than 2 (two) calendar months since he.she arrived in Indonesia;
- Not a crew of an airlines.
How to claim the VAT Refund
1. Accompanied baggage (goods)
To be eligible for the VAT refund:
- goods must be purchased from shop with “VAT Refund for Tourists” label across Indonesia by showing your passport, and you must have a valid tax invoice (a tax invoice attached with one payment receipt) from the shop.
- goods which are excluded are as follows:
- food, beverage, tobbaco products;
- guns and any explosive goods (materials);
- any goods that are prohibited to be taken onto an aircraft
- minimum VAT payment is Rp500.000 (five hundred thousand rupiah) in one valid tax invoice from one shop with the same purchasing date.
- goods are purchased within 1 (one) month before departing Indonesia.
- goods must be carried out of Indonesia as accompanied baggage within 1 (one) month of the date of purchase.
2. VAT refund payment options
- Given in cash with Indonesian Rupiah (IDR) currency.
VAT refund is given in cash only if the amount does not exceed Rp 5,000,000 (five million rupiah);
- Through transfer payment
When the VAT refund is in excess of Rp 5,000,000 (five million rupiah), the refund will be made by transfer. The passenger should provide bank account number, account name, address, bank routing number, designated bank for transfer and requested currency for the VAT refund. The transfer will be done within 1 (one) month of receipt of application for VAT refund.
- Exceptional circumstances
If the amount of VAT refund is more than Rp 5,000,000 (five million rupiah), however, the passenger does not want to be refunded by transfer, then the amount of Rp 5,000,000 (five million rupiah) will be refunded in cash and the balance of VAT is not refundable.
- Claim procedure
The VAT refund can only be claimed at the airport on the date of your departure and you must follow these steps:
Option # 1 : Claim VAT Refund before Check-In counter
- Submit the application for VAT refund to the Directorate General of Taxes (DGT) officer at the airport;
- Submit both copies of the original valid tax invoice (a tax invoice attached with one payment receipt);
- Show passport, airline ticket and goods purchased;
- Receive VAT refund in cash or through transfer to your bank account.
Option # 2 : Claim VAT Refund after Check-In counter
AttentionTo help provide you a better service, please ensure that you allow enough time to complete your VAT Refund claims procedure on the day of your departure.
Where are the VAT Refund counters located ?